PDA

View Full Version : Tips on how to use adwords

Windowslite
07 Mar 2011, 10:52 AM
What’s the best way to use Adwords for my ecommerce site? Any tips that can get me started off in the right direction, and so I don’t waste money that I don’t have, on marketing that doesn’t work? I need to use a few selected but strong choices to make a big bang.

borisnoone
07 Mar 2011, 11:00 AM
While the basic premise of Adwords sounds simple enough, it actually isn’t as simple as it sounds. You would assume that all it requires is a simple write up (advertisement, etc.), enter relevant keywords and upload it; by doing so, you’re drawing thousands upon thousands of consumers to your site that leads to big sales. Wrong.

A haphazard approach to using Adwords gets pretty dismal results, while spending lots of money on advertising and marketing. I have a few tips that will help you get the kind of results you’d expect from this investment.

1. The first tip is SCORE. Google’s Adwords has a quality score based on the relevance of a keyword. This essentially helps keep searches relevant. If a user turns up on your site because you have a lot of keywords, but little relevant content, the users are disappointed and leave your site. Those users probably also keep a tally of how poor a search Google turns up for them. Therefore, it’s critical for Google (and other search engines) to make sure the search results for a particular keyword(s) are quality ones.

That’s why choosing a higher quality scored keyword will get you higher up in the page rankings, but it has to be used with relevant content.

Additionally, it’s desirable that keyword searches are relevant to the ad and landing page, the page that users first land on, and not just the homepage.

It’s key to make sure that your advertisement takes users to relevant keywords that exist on separate pages’, not just the homepage’s URL. Combined, you’ll get the best search results by starting out with the highest possible quality score that’s connected to the ad, homepage and landing page. The higher quality score leads to a low cost per click.

2. How do you choose which keywords to use? If you check Google’s Adwords keyword tool, you can find search terms that are used most often in searches. However, the higher the volume of a search keyword, the more you will pay. These generally result in a low conversion rate: less people actually buy in terms of percentage because the search terms are rather generic.

However, if you have a uniquely termed phrase that’s relevant to your site, by using those keywords you pay less and get the users you’re looking for.

For example, if you sell women’s clothing, and you use the keywords “women clothing,” you would pay more per click because there is a decreased chance to covert that click into a sale (because millions of users probably use these terms); however, because you actually sell high-end women’s clothing, including this keyword reduces the number of women looking for clothing to this particular kind of clothing. You pay less per click, while having a higher conversion rate. That’s using smart Adword sense!

3. Competition. Believe it or not, you can actually use Adwords to decrease competition, and, if you can do that, you’re using your advertising dollars well.

Browsing Adwords’ keyword tool, you can find a match for an exact phrase that is used less often, and in less volume. Choosing a phrase on this end of the spectrum streamlines your advertising focus because you will get users looking specifically for this keyword directed to your site.

gamerfan
07 Mar 2011, 11:04 AM
What’s the best way to use Adwords for my ecommerce site? Any tips that can get me started off in the right direction, and so I don’t waste money that I don’t have, on marketing that doesn’t work? I need to use a few selected but strong choices to make a big bang.

Another tip : I’ve found that using the keyword or phrase in my title makes the search listing more noticeable. The keywords then show up twice: once in the title of that page and once in the description. The listing then stands out on the page, more so than other results.

You can also list the price of an item in the title or meta description. This strategy can backfire, obviously, if someone else has a lower price and it’s listed in their title, but if you’re confident and offer a fair and competitive price, then including it in the title helps the listing to stand out again.

Kittenn00b
07 Mar 2011, 11:15 AM
I use this strategy as well, and have argued with many a wholesaler over it, but it’s worked for me so far. I include the price in my listings when I can, because even though I might not get the “I’m just browsing” users onto my page, I get more conversions: only those really interested, actually come on board. It weeds out people that can’t pay the price range that I list, and they would not have end up clicking anyway.

Windowslite
07 Mar 2011, 11:19 AM
What are the best tips to avoid losing money using Adwords?

borisnoone
07 Mar 2011, 11:23 AM
The thing to remember here is to use size, loss, and review to avoid losing lots of money and getting swept away in the excitement of Adwords.

1. Size. This is true with almost any campaign via any platform: start small! Develop a reasonable budget for using Adsense and start off small. You can always increase it, but it’s hard to get back money you shouldn’t have used in the first place. Starting small allows you the time to find out what works, without the pressure of having to get money back in sales to offset the big ad budget.

2. Loss. This goes along with budget. Within that budget, know what you can afford to lose. It’s entirely possible that your first attempt (or first few attempts) using Adwords fails. As a result, if you put $1000 toward using Adwords but you really could only afford to lose about $300, you’re up a creek without a paddle.

Instead, invest, say, $200 first and wait to see if it works; you can then put another $300 to increase the budget.

3. Review. This is a game of test and check. By testing a variety of keywords, you can review their results, make adjustments, and keep going. Some of your choices will work, and some won’t. By continually testing and reviewing your strategies, you will, over time, develop a few solid strategies that really bring in the numbers – via traffic AND sales.

forgotten_4580
07 Mar 2011, 11:24 AM
I think there’s a little more to it than what’s been discussed so far. The mechanics of how Adsense works, in isolation, is not enough. In the end, an ad has to be catchy and well written. In one word, it has to be: Enticing – ads must catch consumer attention. This is true in B&Ms and virtual stores. In this case, you want something that’s catchy enough that users then click on that ad. Some standard tactics sellers use, include using the words “free” or “buy one get one” or “discounted” or “sale.”

You can use Adwords itself to review terms. Ask yourself: What catches your eye? What gets a reaction? This helps build a list of words that you can use to write an effective ad.

wholesaleclothing
22 Jul 2011, 09:43 PM
This is how I manage my adwords campaign.

I max my cpc on the first week to raise my CTR. Then gradually lower my bids. This makes my ad spend lower a bit.

Quite old post, but still useful thanks.

Andrew
21 Dec 2011, 10:19 AM
Excellent tips....thanks for everything....this is really helpful for get started off in the right direction and without waste of money.

Phoenix Kitchen Remodeling (http://huntwood.com/kitchen-cabinets/?p=149)

Joshjdojohn
20 Nov 2012, 07:52 AM
You can also list the price of products in the headline or meta information. This technique can be risky if someone else has a reduced cost and it’s detailed in their headline, but if you are assured you offer a reasonable cost then putting your prices in your headline is an effective way of ranking higher.
Business Marketing (http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/i-interact-marketing-pr-and-graphic-design/southport)