I am a Reseller

Are you a reseller looking for dropshippers? Do you need a review on a specific dropshipper? Do you want to learn how to use dropshipping successfully? Register today to find dropship products, dropshipping companies and dropshippers reviews free.

I am a Dropshipper

Are you a dropship supplier looking for resellers to market your products? Do you need to recruit experienced retailers to market your dropshipped products? Do you want to promote your dropship business free of charge? Register today to find and interact with dropshippees free.

Reply to Thread

Does using dropshippers lend to a sustainable ecommerce model?

I’ve just recently closed down my brick-and-mortar storefront, and have been considering moving on to online business. What can anyone tell me about drop shipping? There’s a lot of conflicting information online, but it sounds ideal, as my warehouse went with the storefront. Any takers?

Of course drop shipping is a sustainable model. It’s been an available model for decades, but with the ecommerce revolution it’s become an available model for the individual and small business-owner. There’s not a terrible lot of difference between drop shipping and any other model, apart from the fact that the seller doesn’t need any inventory.

You want to treat the whole venture as any other business outing, just with a lot of the grunt work taken out on your end as regards picking and shipping stock. It does bring with it its own complications, most of which are borne out of the very same benefits that make the model so attractive.

The drop ship model means you have no storage or shipping fees to worry over, and neither do you have to concern yourself with inventory per se. Rather, you maintain communication with your supplier, and they keep you informed of items that are in-stock, and more importantly those which are out-of-stock. It’s not so much that inventory is taken off your hands, as it’s relegated to just a matter of communication between the supplier and yourself.

That being the case, you never lay hands on the product you’re selling, and you have no control over when or how that product is shipped. That’s why choice of supplier is arguably more important in the drop ship model than in most other fulfillment model. You are essentially handing over entire aspects of your business to another entity. If the supplier is unreliable, then it’s YOUR money on the line. Your reputation will be soiled and your customers will abandon you. Again, treat this like a real business and stay involved with your supplier and you should be dandy!

A lot of suppliers offer wide swaths of product categories, and it’ll be tempting to offer several different kinds of products in order to grab as many and varied offerings as possible, but don’t give in to that temptation. Remember, the only thing your supplier is going to be doing is storing, picking, and shipping the product you sell. You’ll be supplied with pictures and generic copy for the stuff, but the selling, education, and expertise is all left to you.

Therefore, laser-focus on a few items you know intimately and stick to them. You still have to be able to provide genuine enthusiasm for your product in order to properly sell it, and you still have to be the one answering any questions your customers might have.

Good information! Thanks all around, honestly. Here’s a question for you-- if finding a reliable and communicative seller is so important, then how does one go about getting a particularly shiny one?

Fair question,
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox_idiot View Post
    Good information! Thanks all around, honestly. Here’s a question for you-- if finding a reliable and communicative seller is so important, then how does one go about getting a particularly shiny one?
    First off, you want to search around this forum for drop ship supplier reviews. A few things to keep in mind:

● No legitimate supplier is going to charge you to be their customer. As such, any fees required to view a product catalogue or even view prices should alarm you. Even if they’re an otherwise legitimate business, they’re doing this part wrong, and will likely bollocks-up other critical elements of your relationship, as it’s never really a good idea to charge people money to provide you with business. Customers aren’t selling their custom to you!

● If at all possible, use a supplier you already trust. A lot of conventional suppliers offer drop ship services. All you have to do is ask, and they should be able to get you hooked-in.

● As with any supply chain, you want to be as close to the source as possible. Some manufacturers and warehouses offer drop ship services, and there’s quite a few brands that are equipped to fulfill your orders, as well.

I recommend you sign up to a verified dropshippers directory like esources or worldwidebrands to find your sources, they have helped me a lot. Yes, they charge a fee, but the suppliers are pre-screened, and I’ve yet to find a bad egg. Happy hunting!