I am a Reseller

Are you a reseller looking for dropshippers? Do you need a review on a specific dropshipper? Do you want to learn how to use dropshipping successfully? Register today to find dropship products, dropshipping companies and dropshippers reviews free.

I am a Dropshipper

Are you a dropship supplier looking for resellers to market your products? Do you need to recruit experienced retailers to market your dropshipped products? Do you want to promote your dropship business free of charge? Register today to find and interact with dropshippees free.

Reply to Thread

Warranty on drop shipped items - who is responsible?

OK here is what I am dealing with: A customer wants to return a purchase because the product does not work. I used a drop shipper, so shouldn't the drop shipper return the money?

When I contacted my drop shipper, their customer service department told me that I would actually have to return the item at my expense and be charged a restocking fee. Is this right?

Who is responsible for the item, the drop shipper or me?

The drop shipper is not responsible for your customer's satisfaction. It is up to you to make things right with a customer.

The customer did not pay the drop shipper, you did.

Let's think about how drop shipping works:

A customer chooses a product on your site/eBay/Amazon and purchases it. Then you (the trader) purchased the item from the drop shipper (of course this step could be avoided with an ecommerce site that makes the purchase instantly).
    Your customer does not know who the drop shipper is; they only have your information.

You have three options:

• Offer a replacement product
    • Offer a full refund
    • Don't do anything and get a negative review

Even if the drop shipper has a warranty on their products, they are just a middleman between you and the customer. As a trader, you need to set things right with the customer and then re-evaluate the drop shipper. It might be time to find a new supplier.

Is the item new? If the product is new, then it is protected under the trade descriptions act so there must be at least a 90-day warranty.

I would refund the customer's money and then approach the drop shipper about the situation.

The longer the customer has to deal with a broken product and loss of money, the more it can hurt your reputation as a trader.

The product was new, so I guess it does have a warranty. I am going to refund the money and probably find a new drop shipper.

I did not know that this supplier charged a restocking fee. Plus, I do not think I want to deal with a company that gives me busted merchandise.

It can suck to have a product returned, but it is always better to offer a full return right away and avoid a customer getting angry.

Call the drop shipper and explain the situation just to make sure it does not happen in the future if you choose to use them again.